Sunday, January 17, 2010

Stuffed Quahogs

Stuffed Quahogs
“The ocean’s in my kitchen!”

Nothing smells more like ocean-in-my-kitchen quite like the smell of steaming clams. If ocean mist were hot, this is what it would smell like! Steamed littlenecks usually make me think of butter, white wine, and linguine. But today was made for stuffing quahogs.

I think the reason I like littlenecks in butter and with pasta is that simple steamed clams are just too…anatomical for me to handle. Quahogs are a little anatomy lesson in every shell! – they’re bigger than littlenecks, so you can easily feel the hard parts, soft parts, brainy-looking parts, eeek! However, visually they are shapely and beautiful, and plump after steaming. A one- or two-pulse go-round in a mini-processor helps to avoid having to handle their wobbly selves in the chopping by hand…but avoid pulsing to a uniform texture. Wrapped in foil for baking or freezing, they make a fun ocean-y nosh.


No comments:

Post a Comment